Skip to main content

Support Pathways

Providing communication support (opens in a new window) is extremely important when providing services and employment for people who are deaf and hard-of-hearing. This applies to many different situations such as job interviews, medical appointments, legal meetings, classes, lectures, and events.

· Australian Sign Language (Auslan) interpreters

· Deafblind interpreters

· Note takers

· Speech-to-text reporters (palantypists)

Deaf people have the right to have a qualified interpreter (opens in a new window) for medical appointments. It is best to avoid using friends and family members and never use children as interpreters or communicators in general, and this is especially important for medical and legal appointments.

Disability Employment Service departments at specialist employment services (refer services - opens in a new window) can provide support to help with things such as writing job application forms or resumes. An interpreter can also translate relevant information for both you and the disability employment advisor where necessary. If an interpreter is required to translate as well as interpret at the same meeting, it is always helpful to provide relevant documentation in advance for the interpreter's reference.

Colleges and universities can receive additional funding to meet the learning needs of students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. There are several types of in-class support for studying (opens in a new window) including access to interpreters, note takers and live captioning. Additionally, financial support – such as study allowance and scholarships – is available.

Sourced from:

nidirect - Communication Support for Deaf People (referenced only, opens in a new window)